JL Audio Subwoofer and Amp Recommendations
If you are struggling to determine which amplifier you should use to power your JL Audio subwoofers, we have create a convenient chart that lists the applicable options for each subwoofer.
JL Audio W0 Subwoofers
The JL Audio W0 subwoofers are the gold standard for entry-level performance. These subwoofers hit hard, sound good, and they last. They only come in single 4 ohm voice coils. So, if you are running a single subwoofer, you need to "buy more amp" than it's rated for because you need to check the output at 4 ohms, not just that it says it's a 500 watt amp, so it's putting out 500 watts. The benefit of 4 Ohms though is that it also allows your amplifier to run with less heat, which means less distortion.
- Only available with single 4 Ohm voice coils
- If you are running a single subwoofer, make sure you check the output at 4 Ohms. Don't assume that the 500 watt amplifier puts out 500 watts at 4 Ohms
JL Audio W1 Subwoofers
- Use the single 2 Ohm voice coil subwoofers for single subwoofer applications.
- Use the single 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers for dual subwoofer applications.
- These subwoofers align well with JL Audio's amplifier offering. The better the amp, the higher the actual output, and the better it will sound. You get what you pay for.
JL Audio W3v3 Subwoofers
- If you are running a single subwoofer, we recommend the 2 Ohm SVC (10W3v3-2, 12W3v3-2) subwoofers to maximize amplifier output for your money
- If you are running two subwoofers, we recommend the 4 Ohm SVC (10W3v3-4, 12W3v3-4, etc.) subwoofers to maximize amplifier output for your money
- The 6" and 8" W3 subwoofers are only available in 4 Ohm SVC.
- On the 10" and 12" W3, if you opt for the XD600/1v2, YOU CAN'T TURN THE GAIN ALL THE WAY UP. You will blow your subwoofers. Instead, keep the gain down and the amplifier can coast while giving the subwoofer all the power it wants.
JL Audio W6v3 Subwoofers
- The XD600/1v2 amplifier is perfect for a single subwoofer.
- If you are going to run (2) W6 subwoofers, go with the HD1200/1. The subwoofers aren't cheap. Don't go buy a pair of really nice subwoofers and then cheap out on the amplifier. The HD1200/1 is the right amplifier. You won't be disappointed.
JL Audio W7AE Subwoofers
- The HD1200/1 is too much amp for the 8" W7 unless you keep the gain way down
- With the 10" W7, the HD750/1 is the best choice. If you spent all of your budget on the subwoofer and you don't have the money for the HD750/1, you can go with the RD1000/1 or the XD1000/1, but keep the gain down. If you turn the gain up, you will blow the subwoofer.
- If you are running multiple 12" or 13" W7 subwoofers, the right way to do it is with multiple amplifiers. Run a dedicated amplifier to each subwoofer.
JL Audio TW1 Subwoofers
- If you are running a single subowofer, the 10TW1-2 and the 12TW1-2 are the best options to allow you to run the amp at 2 ohms and the XD300/1v2 is the best amp to use.
- If you are going to run two subwoofers, the 10TW1-4 and the 12TW-4 are the best options to get you to a 2 Ohm load.
- If you are powering a pair of TW1 subwoofers, we like the RD500/1 at 2 ohms. The XD600/1v2 is the best option, but it's nearly twice the cost. If you are springing for that amp, we like the TW3 subwoofers better.
JL Audio TW3 Subwoofers
- If you are running a single subwoofer, go with the "D4". If you are running two subwoofers, go with the "D8".
- We like the RD500/1 to power a single 10TW3-D4 or 12TW3-D4 at 2 Ohms. Just make sure that you do not turn the gain all the way up.
- If you are running a pair of the 10TW3-D8 or 12TW3-D8, the best amplifier is theHD750/1
- If the HD750/1 doesn't fit your budget to power a pair of TW3s, go with the 1000 watt amp that best fits your budget. The XD1000/1v2 is the best 1000 watt amp of the bunch and the RD1000/1 is an incredible value.
JL Audio TW5 Subwoofers
- If you are running a single subwoofer, the 13TW5v2-2 is the sub to go with and power it with theXD600/1v2
- If you are running a pair of subwoofers, we like the 13TW5v2-2 with the HD1200/1 at 4 ohms. Otherwise, go with the 4 Ohm subwoofer model and theXD1000/1v2.